For the month of October, we were challenged to make scones by Jaida from Sweet Beginnings! I'm a big fan of starbucks cinnamon chip scones so I immediately decided to try to make something like that and they turned out fantastic. However my husband requested scones with raisins so I combined two recipes to make one awesome scone, rum raisin cinnamon scone! And it turned out delicious!!
2 cups flour
3 tbsp brown sugar
2tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, cold
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp rum
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp heavy cream, and some more for brushing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp corn syrup
1. Mix all dry ingredients for scones together in a large bowl. Cut in cold butter using a pastry cutter or two forks until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
2. Add in extracts, milk, egg, and rum. Mix well. Gently fold in raisins. Pour mixture onto a large piece of wax paper to form a rectangle (about 5 by 10 inches).
3. Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and heavy cream in a small bowl for filling. Spread across the top of half the scone dough.
4. Using the wax paper, fold the dough in half by putting the dry scone dough over the side with filling. Press dough down sealing in the filling and stretching the dough out into a large 12 by 6 inches rectangle.
5. Using a sharp knife dipped in flour, cut the rectangle into 8 squares and then cut each square diagonally to make 16 triangle scones.
6. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and brush with cream. Bake on 400 degrees for 13-16 mins.
7. While scones cool, make icing by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle icing over scones and let it set.