Friday, October 1, 2010

Bracciole


My grandpa requested that my Mom and I make bracciole for him like my Grandma used to. I don't know if ours was as good as hers, but everyone ate it so fast I'm thinking we did ok!

Bracciole

1 1/2 lb flank steak (usually labeled bracciole meat)
6 tbsp Parsley leaves (roughly chopped)
8 garlic cloves (minced)
4 tbsp of olive oil
salt and pepper to season
4 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Tomato Sauce
Pasta



1. Lay out the bracciole on wax or parchment paper. Pound with a meat mallet.

2. Season both sides generously with sea salt and pepper. Sprinkle with olive oil.

3. Spread garlic on top of the bracciole evenly across the entire piece. Scatter grated cheese on top of garlic.


4. Pile on the parsley! Be sure to cover the whole steak!


5. Now the tricky part, roll it up tight enough not flop over and fall apart, but loose enough to let the sauce and flavors mix well.

6. Secure with baker's twine. My Mom and I had a good time making different designs/knots with the twine!


7. Heat dutch oven on stove top to medium-high heat. Place your braccioles in carefully and continue turning to brown on all sides. The inside does not need to be fully cooked, because it will continue to cook in the sauce. Add water if necessary to keep the meat moist.

8. When fully browned, cover with tomato sauce and reduce to medium-low heat and let cook slowly for 2- 2 1/2 hours. This slow cooking will keep the bracciole tender. I used a tomato sauce similar to this one from an earlier post, except I used whole peeled tomatoes and pureed them in a blender and added onions and red wine.

9. Serve braccoile and sauce over pasta!

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it out! I featured this recipe as one of my Friday favorites.

    http://adomesticnerd.blogspot.com/2011/01/five-friday-favorites_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will try this for my family dinner this Sunday. How many does the 1 1/2 lbs feed? What size do you cut the pieces in per serving? I am trying to plan for a late lunch for 7 adults and 2 teenagers and one 2 year old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this! I am planning it with a family late lunch this Sunday. I will host 7 adults, 2 teenager and a 2 year old. How many does the 1.5 lb feed? Also, what size did you cut the serving size steaks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this simmering right now and I added chopped salami to the filling and made one large roll from a butterflied and pounded london broil.

    ReplyDelete